Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good evening guys.

we are having 2 baby beardies from KK Chameleons on Wed, they viv is all set up and looking lush excpet the flooring, as at the moment it is newspaper coz they cannot have proper substrate untill they are older.

we have been looking at Zoo Med reptile carpet. has any one used this and what is their thoughts on it.

thanks soooo much

: victory:

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,619 Posts
I've never used it so can't say but haven't heard anything negative about it other than to clean it properly you have to take it all out to wash. Other substrates you might want to consider are lino, tiles and slate?

·
Registered
965 Posts
i used to use it for my leos but found that occasionally they would get a toe stuck in it... ive heard about other peoples leos having injuries from that happening but ive never seen it myself so cant say for certain. mine are now on lino floor tiles that are really cheap and very very easy to clean because you can just wipe it off. i did look at more natural looking stone tiles but the ones i wanted were really expensive lol. where as with the carpet stuff you have to take the whole thing out and wash it

·
Registered
60 Posts
well my Carpet comes in 3parts so i just take out a part clean it and put it back take out the next part and so on. The stuff is very easy to cut so you dont have to have the one long part. As for toes getting stuck this has never happend to mine and they have used it for a long time now

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I use it and i like it. I alternate between carpet and kitchen when the carpet needs cleaning. It really is so simple to just throw in the wash. The only issue i have is keeping it down. I tried tape and it didn't work so the crickets can easily hide under it which is a pain.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I used to use it and didn't like it.

Nice clean carpet when you go to work, come back and the lizard has pooped on it, walked through it, spread it all over the viv and glass.

Now the lizards are bound to poop, can't stop that obviously, but with the other loose substrates it tends to clump up, doesn't spread even if it's walked through, and you can then just scoop it up without needing to spray down half the viv as well. I also had to bath my beardie on numerous occasions after he had done his business on the carpet because he had it on his toes and belly!

Also it's a mucky job to clean, even though you can put replacement bits in whilst you're cleaning it.

If it's a young lizard though the loose substrates will not be suitable so maybe try tilesm for now if you don't want to use newspaper or kitchen roll?

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I used to use reptile carpet but I didn't like it so I am using lino now. My leopard geckos would get their teeth stuck in the carpet when hunting and also their toes sometimes. It was a pain to wash too.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
for young animals its ok its just getting one big enough as they are all in awkward sizes
up side is there is two in a pack so one can be washed while using the other

·
Registered
735 Posts
slate/sandstone tiles for the win. Cheaper, easier to clean, bugs don't get underneath, keeps their claws in trim, looks more natural....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts