Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was needing some info because im a beginner with my bearded dragon, his name is Uber:) I bought the NEW - Zoo Med Tropical UVB and Heat Lighting Kit, it has two bulbs in one lamp, the right side has the blue daylight bulb and the other bulb on the right is the uvb heating light, I have them both on most of the 10 to 12 hours in the day, occasionally keep just daylight bulb because im scared its too much heat, are you suppose to or able to keep them both on at the same time, or are each bulb suppose to be on at separate times since they have a switch for each bulb separately, if anyone knows the answer to this I would much appreciate it if someone could fill me in, I really don't want to lose my Uber because I was too scared to ask for help. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
I'm pretty sure what you have is totally unsuitable for a bearded dragon!

Is it this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tropical-Uvb-amp-Heat-Lighting-x/dp/B00CYDE8IG

The UVB is only 5% and a rubbish compact bulb. Ideally you want at least a 12% strip that runs 3/4 the length of the vivarium. Arcadia actually now do a 14% strip that is perfect for bearded dragons. You also need a reflector with it.

The basking area should be providing heat for at least 12 hours a day and should only be switched off at night . You are aiming for a surface temp in the basking area of 45c and you need to use a daylight basking bulb which should be controlled by a dimmer thermostat to stop temps getting too high or too low.

Can you give us some more info about your enclosure. Possibly some photos if you could and more info about your bearded dragon.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Louise is right, the light setup you have is completely underpowered for a bearded dragon.

They are not tropical animals, they are desert ones, you require a MUCH higher UV output.

It is INCREDIBLY important that you get a higher UV output bulb, using the one you can will result in your dragon becoming seriously ill with a variety of conditions (you are risking metabolic bone disease which will lead to deformities and even death if left to progress, the conditions that make up MBD are also untreatable, they cannot be reversed)

UV is vital to bearded dragons. You should NOT be using anything lower than a 10% bulb, depending on the vivarium size and UV tube position most commonly used are things like Arcadia 12% UV tubes or reptisun 10.0
I would recommend using the Arcadia T5 range, 12% (or if you have a correct sized vivarium (so 2ft high minimum) the new 14% range is better.
With a 5% bulb he would have to sit roughly a couple of inches under the bulb which would lead to damage to eyesight, possible burns and is also totally impractical.

This is what your basic setup should be like:

As Louise has also suggested i would recommend going through your setup in full detail so you can check all aspects of the enclosure.
Heat, Lighting and humidity are all important parameters and need to be right, as are its diet and supplementation.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
I have nothing to add, well done both!

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I took it into the pet store before I posted this to ask what kind of bulbs they were, and he said that the white bulb is a ubv heating light and the blue bulb is a daylight bulb, while he was explaining it said that I don't use them for any certain times, but for the 10 to 12 hours. While he explained this he didn't say anything about it was the wrong lamp or bulbs or anything he just acted like it was perfectly fine. At the time I thought it was right too so I didn't think about asking considering he works at pet Valu and I assumed he would correct it if it was wrong. But after awhile I began to get little worried about if I was going to hurt my little guy buy not making sure a hundred percent. I don't have the box because I bought it from someone that was selling old bearded dragon things, so I don't have extra information to know all the details about it. BUT....
the inside of the lamp says zoo med laboratories item: LF-19 120V-100W Max. Use R-TYPE LAMP.

The white bulb says:Reptisun 5.0 uvb Self-Ballasted Lamp 2V-13w AC 120v/60HZ 0.14A.

The BLUE round bulb doesn't say anything on it.

The set up in the tank is exactly how I have the tank when it comes to the things inside, and I do have the brasking daylight blue bulb on the left of the tank and the desert ubv white bulb on the right side. Thank you guys for the help, I want to make sure I'm doing everything right, so your comments are very appreciated. If anyone knows the info on this lamp, I'd love to know so if it does turn out to be the wrong one I can get the correct lamp set up right away. I don't know how to post pictures on here but if I can figure how to ill do it as soon as I do. Until then its the best info I know how to describe without pictures.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
As already stated, it is completely wrong.

Firstly, you should be using a linear UV bulb, these are tube shaped bulbs and it needs to be roughly two thirds of the length of the viv.
Secondly, "day" bulbs, or blue bulbs, are also completely wrong, the basking lamps should be a white light bulb, this is also important for the beardies eyesight.

Get rid of them.

What are the dimensions of the vivarium you are keeping the animal in?
You want one of these two:
If you have roughly 12 inches from where the bulb should be positioned to the main basking area Arcadia T5 D3+ Reptile Lamp 12% 39W 34in | Reptile

If you have roughly 15 inches from where the bulb is positioned to the basking area Arcadia T5 D3+ 14% Dragon Lamp 39w 34in | Reptile Centre

You WILL NEED to get a controller and reflector for it, the links are for 34" tubes, so 39w T5 bulbs, in which case Arcadia T5 Controller 24-39W | Reptile Centre and Arcadia T5 Reflector 34 inch | Reptile Centre

For the basking bulb, use something like a halogen lamp, you can use many different type but the wattage you will need will depend on the vivarium size.
For a minimum size vivarium, so 4ft long, 2ft deep 2ft high for a bearded dragon, something like a 75w halogen would be correct, this MUST be on a dimmerstat, preferably a high range dimmer stat.
Arcadia Halogen Basking Spot 75W | Reptile Centre Microclimate B1HT Hight Temp Dimming Thermostat

I have linked Arcadia products as they are good quality and reasonably priced, they are also the only brand i know with a year guarantee, other UV bulbs from things like exoterra will die within six months yet cost you the same amount of money. Microclimate are gurateed for 5 years (dimmerstat) and are also reasonably priced and quality products.

I have tried -many- different types of lighting and after roughly 8 years of experience i now use the items listed above and i can assure you they are well suited, fairly priced and reliable.

You should also be using a good quality calcium supplement that is D3 free (NO D3 in it) and a multivitamin, depending on the dragons age it will change how often you should be using the multivitamin, but calcium should lightly dusted on every feed.
Alternatively, and i would argue preferably, use Arcadia EarthPro-A 100g | Reptile Centre Its a calcium and multivitamin all in one, but unlike many multivitamins it doesnt use synthetics, and it uses precursors for things like Vit A so you will not overdose your beardie. This product is used daily, and means you do not need separate supplements (its an All in One)

I recommend looking through this site to learn about bearded dragon nutrition and feeding, there are many good food lists and i think you will benefit from what you can learn.
Simply put, the greater the variety of veggies and insects you can provide, the healthier and long lived your beardie will be, there are lots of different foods you can feed, but also ones you should not.
To start you off:
Butternut squash, Rocket, Watercress, Spring greens, Radichio, Endive and lambs lettuce are all good daily veggies, things like Kale, Pea shoots, Celery, Apple, Carrot are all things you can feed a couple of times a week, you should be feeding a MIX of salad everyday, first thing, and insects roughly midday.

Insects you can feed and find easily in pet shops are Dubia Roaches, Brown crickets, Black crickets, Locusts, Mealworms, Morio worms and calci worms, same applies, regularly change some of the insects you get so there is variety in what you feed.
Lightly dust ust ALL live feeds with calcium powder.
How much live feed you give will also depend on how old your dragon is.

Do not feed if there is less than two hours before the basking lamp goes off, they need this time to absorb heat and digest properly when they eat.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Look at the picture i have put it, it shows you how the lights should be setup within the tank and gives the right temperatures you need.

Heat and Light are VITAL to your beardie, and i literally mean VITAL, without them being correct you will end up making him VERY ill and possibly even risk his death.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look at the picture i have put it, it shows you how the lights should be setup within the tank and gives the right temperatures you need.

Heat and Light are VITAL to your beardie, and i literally mean VITAL, without them being correct you will end up making him VERY ill and possibly even risk his death.
Thank you so much! I'm on my way to get the right set up, very much appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts